The first thing I will agree upon with my class, and make as a rule, is that there is a zero tolerance for bullying in any form. I am hoping that this would help to build a classroom community by building trust. This same standard applies to me, as a teacher and person, and any other people who visit or join our classroom. This rule begins with respect for everyone, regardless of race, background, abilities, or disabilities. Everyone in the classroom is a member of the classroom and , even outside of school, should be treated as such.
I also want the students to understand that they can and are encouraged to help each other out when they are having difficulties. This is not to say that I will not help students out, but that they should feel comfortable with asking a peer for help or clarification. I always like the idea of "ask three before me"; where the students ask three other students in a group or the class before coming to me for help, at least sometimes. Although I understand that other times it may be easier for my students if i help them out one on one. This will hopefully enable my students to realize that everyone has strengths and weaknesses and that they can all do amazing when they help each other out.
As far as classroom management goes, I will place my students in pods/groups of four for seating. But, these groups will vary and be changed so that, by the end of the semester, they will have all sat with each other at some point. I might even arrange the desks in a large circle to encourage a "round table" affect; everyone is equal and has an equal say/participation in the class.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Some good ideas here -- I am interested in your emphasis on the 'zero tolerance' of bullying. It would be interesting to talk about this in class, for as you know, saying this is one thing, but enforcing it is another. It would be interesting to explore how one go about this -- what works and what doesn't. Interesting post!
ReplyDelete